Strongie

News Page of HeyStrongie.com!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

GhostFoot

This past weekend was the RISD craft fair, in Providence, RI.

Rebecca (who shared a table with me) & I drove up Friday night to Brooke's AMAZING warehouse space, which, thankfully has the necessary warehouse swing, covered in leopard fur. Providence is really the only city I've seen that has all of these incredible spaces (of course, it could just be the amazing artists that live in them...)

I remember one space, which has since been torn down (an entire floor of a warehouse), that was a treehouse. The only things on the ground were the stove & bathroom. Above the floor was a complex system of bridges & ropes & the people who lived there slept in ceiling nests.

The space below the treehouse was the infamous Fort Thunder (RIP - also demolished). I saw the most incredible things there, both in performers & the space itself, which was always transforming. I remember one Halloween (dressed as ghetto batman), crawling through a triangular hole into a dark room, with no exit. Eventually, I found an oval cut-out on the other wall that I hoisted myself up onto & through. This led me to a series of treehouse diaromas & a mattress bridge. Eventually, I fell several feet into a room filled entirely with leaves, in the shape of a teepee. To exit the maze, I had to go through a refridgerator, which led back to the party.

I am especially nostaligic because the RISD Museum currently has a show called "Wunderground Providence, 1995 - Present," which features thousands of silkscreened posters & photos from all of the Providence events, warehouse & otherwise. AND, even better, they hosted a party on Saturday night for young alumni (with free food & drink - thank you RISD!)

Overall, it was a weekend filled with old friends & familar places. Gisel & Nadav even made a surprise visit!

Okay, now for pictures!



This was our table at the craft fair. My new shirts did great, & my old shirts surprised me by selling really well too!



Here's a picture of Rebecca with her BEAUTIFUL jewelry!



A close-up of the tees.



And, another craft fair photo. Note my NEON signs!

I'm very exicted for the December fairs, & can't wait to debut a very special silkscreened shirt. Details to follow...

In other art/craft news, I've started a new painting series. The painting below is called " We Died Trying to Get the Pieces to Fit Just Right."



It's a small painting, in acrylic, on wood.

Okay!

Have a great day everyone!

xoxo
Strongie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home